18 July 2009

Sardines vs. dolphins, gannetts, seals, sharks, and a whale. Sardines lose.


This David Attenborough-narrated video from the Natures Great Events series is, in my view, one of the most spectacular nature segments I've ever seen. Off the coast of South Africa, a mass of sardines is attacked by a formidable array of predators. The surface view of the army of dolphins is impressive, but when the gannetts plunge like arrows into the ocean, then fly underwater, the scene is truly awe-inspiring.

I strongly recommend that if your system and connection support it that you click on the "HQ" button on the bottom right, then on the "fullscreen" button.

Via Titam.

3 comments:

  1. Some of the comments on YouTube about this video are mind-boggling. Apparently, to some people, everything is an anti-government parable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I need a cigarette...

    That's the most incredible piece of film I've ever seen in my 67 years. It's a work of genius.

    I cracked up about halfway through. I'm sitting there spellbound and literally gasping at one spectacular sequence after another, and then Attenborough says, "Now, something truly astonishing happens." As if what had happened up to that point had been just ho-hum!

    I went to the Web site (both BBC and Discovery Channel) trying to find the cinematography and editing credits, because those guys should be recognized (if not canonized) for their extraordinary work, but no dice.

    A two-DVD set of the series just came out. You can get it new on Amazon for $20.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did anyone esle see the seals (sea lions) that were feeding there also? Funny that Attenborough didn't make note of those guys.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...